Thursday, November 15, 2007

Healthy Asian Cuisine: Perfect for a mid-week pick-me-up

Lately, Steve has been doing most of the cooking because I get home from the gym usually past 7pm. However, last night I decided that I needed to make something that I knew he would love to make up for all the cooking he has been doing. On the way home, I stopped by Whole Foods knowing that I would find something perfect. I was on the phone with my dad (an amazing cook himself) trying to figure out the perfect Asian seafood dish - he suggested Black Cod, but quickly changed his mind when I told him they had sesame and ginger crusted Ahi tuna steaks. My tuna did not look exactly like the image I have provided, but pretty close. Also, as a side-dish for Steve, I bought him one bacon-wrapped scallop because as he has told me many times before he could live off scallops.

Ahi tuna is probably one of the easiest and quickest meals to make, but tough to perfect because the tuna must be seared at just the right amount of time leaving the inside completely raw. We seared the tuna for about 1 minute on each side at a very high heat. Because I am a huge fan of condiments/dipping sauces, I chose to dip slices of my tuna in Hoisin sauce (plum sauce) which added the perfect Asian flavor.
For side dishes, we had brown rice, which I added a bit of soy ginger sauce to and artichokes. Artichokes definitely seem to me as more of a Summer vegetable, but I found them at Whole Foods and they looked perfect and tasted even better. The usual dipping sauce for artichokes at the Coffey household is melted butter with garlic, but Steve likes to do something a bit different. His sauce for artichokes consists of lite mayonaise, horseradish, pecorino cheese (his parents brought this back from Italy for us), little bit of garlic and pepper. It was amazing!! I liked it much more than the the butter and garlic.
どうぞめしあがれ - this is Japanese for "Enjoy your Meal" - We definitely enjoyed ours!

No comments: