Thursday, November 15, 2007

Gnudi (Italian for "nude")

This gnudi recipe, courtesy of our favorite, Giada De Laurentiis, is so simple and delicious. To me its reminiscent of gnocci or ravioli, but without the potato/pasta. So its like the filling without the outside. The recipe makes a large amount, so I prepare the mixture, then only cook what I am going to eat that meal and put the rest in the fridge to make the rest of the week.


1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (I used lite)
1 pound frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup grated Parmesan
2 eggs 2 egg yolks (you have to use the exact amount, or else they won't stick together properly)
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I of course, don't use freshy grated)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus 1 cup for coating
1 jar store bought marinara sauce, heated

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

In a large bowl, mix ricotta, spinach, parmesan cheese, eggs, and yolks. Stir in nutmeg, salt, pepper, and flour. Form mixture in to small, flattened balls.

Dredge the formed gnudi in flour to coat, tapping off the excess. Carefully slide formed gnudi into the boiling water. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan; work in batches if necessary.

Cook gnudi for about 4 minutes and remove from pan with a slotted spoon after they have floated to the top.

Drizzle with marinara sauce and enjoy!

3 comments:

Shelby said...

I think I'll try this over the weekend. I've never made anything like it before. It will be a new adventure.

Lindsay said...

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention, 1 serving is 3 or so I think.

Shelby said...

I made this for Rich and he really enjoyed it! That's saying a lot for a meat lover.