Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Since I gave up flour, wheat and potato products for Lent, I've been looking for different things to make for dinner. Although I usually try not to eat a lot of pasta, bread or potato products anyway, when you can't, it makes you want them more. However, I discovered the best product to curb my craving for pasta, thanks to Jackie; House foods Tofu Shirataki noodles. There are three varieties; fettuccine, spaghetti and angel hair. The best part is that they only have 20 calories and 3 carbs per serving, and are gluten-free and dairy-free! This product is a favorite of the Hungry Girl website (also brought to my attention by Jackie), which is where I got the following recipe and where I will get many in the future - such good (healthy) ideas.

Ingredients:
1 packet of tuna (7 oz.) packed in water (I used a can of albacore tuna in water, drained)
1 10.75 oz. can 98% Fat Free Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light cheese, Original Swiss
1/2 cup frozen peas
3 tbsp. reduced-fat parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste (cayenne is optional)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-Rinse and drain noodles well.
-Cut noodles.
-Microwave noodles for one minute and pat dry.
-Melt Laughing Cow Light cheese wedge into noodles, microwaving again for 20 seconds if
necessary.
-Mix cheese wedge thoroughly into noodles. Add tuna and peas and stir well.
-Put noodle/cheese mixture into a casserole dish.
-Add your can of soup and one tbsp. of parmesan and mix well.
-Season to taste.
-Top with remaining two tbsp. of parmesan and bake in your preheated 375-degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Serves 4.



1 comment:

Jaclyn Z. Reiss said...

YAY! This looks DELICIOUS! They just had the noodles on sale at my Safeway for $1 a pack!! I almost squealed I was so excited. I think I might make this tonight - YUM!