Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Pita Pizza


I LOVE pizza! Who doesn't? (Weirdos, that's who) Unfortunately I should not eat regular pizza very often, but its so hard not to crave. This pizza from SELF magazine is quite tasty and not nearly as bad for you as tradtional pizzas.

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1 6-inch whole-wheat pita
1/4 cup canned, diced tomatoes (sometimes I buy the kind with basil and olive oil already mixed with the tomatoes)
1 basil leaf (if I don't have one on hand, I just use dried Italian seasoning)
1/4 cup torn fresh spinach leaves (if I don't have spinach sometimes I add mushrooms or artichoke or just have plain cheese)
1/4 cup roasted red peppers (I despise peppers so I omit these)
1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella

Preparation:
Drizzle olive oil over pita.
Mix tomatoes and basil and spread over pita.
Add spinach leaves.
Layer peppers over the spinach and top with mozzarella.
Broil 4 minutes or until cheese melts. (usually I bake it for a few minutes to get the crust crispier, then broil it)

No comments: