Thursday, March 13, 2008

Marge's Risotto!

Again, sorry no photo :( I always forget to visually capture the goodness.

Anywho, I love risotto and have tried lots of different ingredients, but I think this recipe is my favorite.

To preface, my risotto has some base ingredients and procedures, so you can add your favorite ingredients if mine arent to your liking.

Note: this requires about 30 minutes cooking time and constant attention :)

What you'll need for any good risotto:
- one cup of arborillo rice (yeilds about 5 cups cooked - enough for 3 people)
- one small yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic depending on your taste, chopped
- 3 cups of your favorite white wine (I use chardonay)
- 4-5 cups good chicken or vegtable stock
- salt & pepper
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 2 tbls butter
- 1 tsp of onion powder

What youll need for THIS risotto:
- 1 cup peas (frozen are best)
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola

Directions:
- saute chopped onions and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes
- add rice and cook for 1 minute, make sure to stir frequently
- once you see little brown bits on bottom of pan, add 1 1/2 cups of wine and stir frequently until wine has disolved
- add remaining 1 1/2 cups of wine and stir until disolved
- next add 1 1/2 cups stock, stir frequently until disolved
- repeat above
- repaeat above again
- at this point, taste the rice to see if it is cooked; if it isnt, add more stock
- next add peas, onion powder, salt and pepper and stire well
- lastly add butter and cheese and stir until melted

Serve hot - It will melt in your mouth!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Yum! I made risotto for the first time the other month. Next time I make it, I'll try your recipe.